A deck installation is a wonderful home improvement that allows you to enjoy your outdoor living area and adds value to your home. There was a time when wood was the only option for a deck addition, but homeowners today have several options.
Before you decide which deck materials are right for you, it’s worth doing some research about the available options so you can make an informed decision.
You’ll find various options when choosing the wood for your deck boards. In a climate like Eastern Nebraska’s, you’ll want to select a material that can stand up to whatever the weather brings. Wood options include:
- Pressure Treated Wood: This is the least expensive wood decking. The average lifespan is about 15 years. While it offers the lowest installation cost, this type of decking requires more maintenance than some other options.
- Tropical Hardwood: Stylish, resistant to insects, and not prone to decay, tropical hardwood decks last about 25 years. This dense wood is difficult to work with, so it’s not an ideal option if you’re installing the deck yourself.
- Redwood: Redwood is more expensive than pressure-treated wood, but it only lasts about five years longer. The wood is rather soft, so it’s prone to damage by heavy foot traffic. This decking also needs to be power washed and re-stained every few years.
In the 1990s, the outdoor decking installation industry changed with the introduction of composite decking. This decking offers many benefits that make it well worth the extra cost. While it does cost more than wood decking, various composite decking options are available to suit just about every budget.
Benefits of composite decking include:
- It’s made from recycled material, so it’s environmentally friendly.
- It’s water-resistant.
- Many style and color options are available.
- Very little maintenance is required, and it’s easy to clean.
- It’s splinter-free, so it’s safe for bare feet.
- It won’t rot or warp, and it is insect-resistant.
- The color won’t fade in the sun.
Quality composite decking from trusted brands, such as Trex and Fiberon, is typically covered by a strong warranty that protects your investment.
Another option for your outdoor decking installation is PVC. This decking material is another smart choice for a four-season climate like Eastern Nebraska’s, because it won’t fade in the sun, is resistant to insects, and can stand up to any weather without rotting or warping. One of the downsides of this type of decking is that it’s difficult to repair. If you have an issue with your deck, you may have to replace the entire thing.
Quality Deck Installations
The quality of the installation is just as important as the quality of the materials. The deck installers from Thompson’s Home Improvements bring the skills and experience to tackle even complex projects with ease. Our family-owned business insists on the best for our customers. That commitment to quality has earned us an A+ rating with the BBB and made us the trusted choice for outdoor decking installation in the Eastern Nebraska area.
Call today to learn more about our deck installation or fill out our online form now to schedule a free consultation and accurate cost estimate.
Subscribe to Thompson's Home Improvement's Blog