When you plan on aging in place, it's important to prepare your home to be a safe and accessible space for you and your loved ones. One of the most important areas to remodel is the bathroom. Eastern Nebraska homeowners can improve comfort and convenience with a few highly focused renovations to their existing bathrooms.
Home Improvement Updates You Can Make
You may be wondering what options are out there for those who are living with mobility limitations. Homeowners can have many kinds of fixtures installed to create an ADA-compliant bathroom.
Some handicap accessible bathroom remodeling choices include:
- Walk-In Tubs: If you just can't give up on those relaxing soaks in the tub, walk-in tubs provide access and safety for homeowners.
- Walk-In Showers: Many bathroom remodelers also offer shower enclosures with low-thresholds to make stepping into and out of the shower much less difficult or hard on the joints and muscles.
- Barrier-Free Showers: No-threshold entry showers are also great for those who use walkers and wheelchairs and can't manage the lip on a low-threshold shower base.
Accessibility Concerns to Keep in Mind
Installing more accessible bathroom enclosures is a big part of making your home safer for seniors. But, there are also accessibility considerations to keep in mind. You'll want to think about:
- Room to Maneuver: Whether you are a senior is walking slowly, with a cane, or using a wheelchair, these mobility issues can make it harder to navigate a traditional bathroom. Consider the amount of space available to turn around in when going to use the toilet or taking off clothing to prepare for a shower or bath.
- Height of Counters & Fixtures: Seniors and those with mobility limitations don't have the same reach that other people do. Make sure your bathroom hardware and countertops are close enough to access when taking care of daily hygiene.
- Easy-to-Use Hardware: You'll also want to choose hardware for faucets, showers, and bathtubs that is large, easy to use, and simple to understand. This way it's easier to bathe and use the restroom independently.
For More About an Accessible Bathroom Remodel in Eastern Nebraska
Do you want to get started with your accessibility improvements? Call Thompson's Home Improvement to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We can arrange a visit from a trained Eastern Nebraskan bathroom remodeler who is knowledgeable in senior-friendly bathroom updates.
We're also proud to be a BBB-accredited and A+ rated home remodeling company offering:
- Siding Installation
- Sunroom Installation
- Decking Replacement
- Roof Replacement
- Storm Restoration
Let us help you live better at home with our bathroom remodeling services. Reach out right away to begin your project.
Subscribe to Thompson's Home Improvement's Blog